Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Now What?

Making the decision to climb Kilimanjaro was pretty easy.  Finding someone to go with was happily easy.  But that opened us up to having to make a ton of decisions.  First up was choosing the Agency.  But in order to do that you need to set parameters because there are a LOT of tour operators offering to take you to the Top of Africa.  Kerry and I compiled spreadsheets, read books, met with friends who previously made the climb, and did a lot of internet research.  All that and we narrowed it down to 20 Agencies or Operators!!  So here are a few parameters to decide upon before you make a decision

Budget:  While we all would like to say that we don’t want to put an dollar limit on a “trip of a lifetime” most of us are forced to do just that.  There are, however, certain luxuries that we do not want to do without.  Kerry and I are both fortunate enough to afford certain luxuries.  Agencies offer tours in price ranges from low to mid to upper end ranges.  There is the ridiculously overpriced operator also, but that was easy to rule out.  We decided on a price range, and that narrowed the field.

When to go:  Well – dry season, of course.  January to March and June to October.  Originally we were set to go in September around my birthday.  But circumstances beyond our control pushed that back.  I think we were trying to get in 2 hikes up 14’ers in prior to Kili and we were running out of vacation (damn these corporate chains).  So we decided we better do this in January before we could use all our vacation days.   The decision to fit this into a typical vacation period had a lot to do with choosing the Agency.  Most have planned trips on set dates.  We ended up with an operator that tailored the dates to us, instead of the other way around.  That was worth a lot of the extra price.

Length of our visit:  If I listed all the places I wanted to see in Africa, I’d be there for a year.  We managed to get just over 2 weeks approved by our respective managers and started to fit things in from there.  Knowing our time frame made some of the decisions easier.  I think we both would have done a longer hike, longer safari, or even added a destination, but time constraints prevailed.

Route:  This was another tough decision that ended up in spreadsheet format to compare the time difference, tent vs hut, micro climates, crowds, vistas and sites.  There are 5 routes up the mountain.  The Marangu Route is reportedly crowded.   The Rongai Route starts in Kenya.  The Machame and Lemsho routes both pass the Lava towers.  In the end, we decided on the Lemosho Route with diverse micro climates and a good success rate to the summit as it is a longer climb.  The more time you give yourself to acclimate, the better chance you have to succeed in summiting.  Figuring out what route you want to take will also help you land on an Operator.

Safari:  Can you actually go to Africa without going on a safari?  We had time to tag on a short safari after the climb.  Some Agencies only deal in the climb, others offer “add on” safaris of varying length.  We chose one that would arrange the whole trip.

Safety Record:  Personnel with medical training, the right equipment, and with a good record.  Not all operators met our standards and the operators standards were a big part of the decision.

Porters/Guides:  The ethical treatment of the local people is a huge issue in Tanzania.  You would be naive to believe that everyone receives the same treatment.  KPAP is an organization that fights for Porter’s rights and lists Agencies that operate within their standards.  Needless to say, any agency we chose would have to be recognized by KPAP.

Food:  I was rolling on the ground laughing as I read one climber’s blog about the brown horrible “vegetable sauce” that covered all her meals.  I may not be picky, but I am hopeful that the better operators are not going to hide the food under gravy, or shove PBJ’s at me breakfast lunch and dinner.

The Final Decision

In the end all the above decisions still left us with 5 possible operators.  We finally landed on Tusker Trails.  It was a bit of a dart throw, influenced by their willingness to allow us to adjust our schedule and their culinary trained chefs.

We are going to start our journey in the second half of January, 2014.  We are taking the 12 day Lemosho Route (climbing for 9 days).   We will summit Uhru Peak on day 7 of the climb and take 2 days to descend, camping in the Kibo crater on the night after we summit.  After the climb, we start a 5 day safari up to the Serengeti during migration.

Up Next: More Decisions

The thrill of choosing the Agency leads to the agony of more decisions and more money flying out of your bank account! flights, trip insurance and extras on Safari.  And more decisions when choosing all your equipment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s